Friday, January 20, 2012

Big post after a long hiatus.

It's been a bit, so you might think I've been losing some of my chainmailing intensity with the lack of posts.  Not so!  I've just been between orders.  Got one order in today, and am expecting another big one in a week or so, and that will keep me in rings for a good happy while. Huzzah!

So while I was impatiently waiting for a fresh supply, I spent my off time playing with ring sizes and patterns.  I started several that I hadn't planned on actually using yet, but wanted to at least try out. I added some black scales to my scalemail as well, until I ran out of those.  And then I kicked out some bracelets:






The left one is bright aluminum, and a 'wiggle' style that's simple but lovely.  The right side is done in gunmetal and is a double spiral.  A bit more of a pain to pull off, but the effect is still quite nice.

I also had a lot of odd ring sizes to play with, and picked up various bead and necklace adornments to experiment with. From that, I created:


It's my first original piece - the ringwork in the center is a modified byzantine style, to work with the circle-shaped beads and the rings I had with. It took quite a bit of tweaking to figure out what would finally fit right, but in the end, considering it's made with items I had on hand, I was pleased.

The chain took the longest tho, as it was the 'wiggle' style, but anything with rings that small and a length that long, well, it'll be a bit of a timesink.

To today I got my shipment - and the project that has my hands sore tonight?





Dragonscale!  I had to lay it out this way because the beauty of the piece is the color underneath.  The blue is quite eye-catching, but unfortunately the gunmetal I chose is actually a bit too subtle to really appreciate the effect. And boy, is this a pain in the rear to do. Granted, it's my learning piece, so it will get faster, but the rings-per-inch ratio is quite intensive.

Lastly, while not a piece, I did want to show off some of the color I have now.  Mostly in scales (earrings anyone?) but I threw some of the blue rings out just so you could appreciate the brilliant color of them.





So that's what I've been up to. I'm quite stocked up now, so I should be able to keep my self busy...for a while at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment